Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Week 2 Reflection

Our sacred space...(Acadia National Park, Maine)







           How do you sum up the grandeur of the American landscape in a few paragraphs? How do you begin to explain the scale of the beauty, the ruggedness of the land, and the fact that this corner of quiet America is worth every effort to visit? There are times where words are so limiting when compared to the task. However, to simply gloss over the experience would not do justice to the place and to not attempt to discuss this with you would be a crime.
            Acadia National Park is a standout feature of New England and getting there is half the fun. Maine is an out-of-the-way treasure for our country and I strongly encourage you to make a visit to that great state a bucket-list item. While the American west has its great expanses, and its own stunning scenery, Maine has its joie de vivre that is unique to that state. Going to Maine is like wearing your favorite pair of jeans on a day where you look and feel good. Maine makes you feel like you’re home even though you’re 1,250 miles from home. Visiting Maine will help you understand why the East Coast is so special to so many people. Being there brings out an internal satisfaction that I’ve rarely felt from the other forty-five states I’ve visited. Maine has its own pulse…go take it some time.
            The problem with a visit to Maine, if I can even bring myself to disparage its name, is the fact that unless you live there, you can’t stay there. As I designed this fellowship experiences, I traded depth for breadth, meaning I would visit many, MANY places, but I would be unable to stay in any one location for an extended period of time. So, my visit to Acadia National Park hurt me as much as it fulfilled my soul. It was a necessary trade off and for this fellowship and I would make the same decision again. However, a place like Acadia, or any other National Park, deserves your time.
            There’s a joy I feel when I am in National Park properties as the park boundaries represent a sacred space that I highly respect. I like being outside, I like being with nature, I like the feel of the trail under my feel, I like the smell of the forest, I like the churning of the waters. It’s a rare day that I get to spend time in a National Park, so when I get to one, I’m already sad for the day of departure. As I often quote Shakespeare, “Parting is such sweet sorrow…” I’m happy for the visit, but I’m sad that I can’t stay there for a longer period of time. I suppose as I analyze my life I would think about why more time of my life wasn’t spent living near or working in a National Park. I sense those places will become destinations in the future. However, I must also admit I am very, very fortunate to have seen some of the great places our country has to offer its citizens.
            The geography of America meant a great deal to the founding fathers. The draw of this country via the colonial grapevine must have been legendary. The wide open land, the plentiful natural resources, the varied geography, the adventure, and the absence of development surly enticed the well-to-do and the common folk to come over and stake their claim. To visit an unspoiled place like Acadia National Park establishes two important perspectives:  1) We, as citizens should visit and appreciate areas of our country to further our knowledge of our country’s beautiful geography. 2) Modern development, while convenient and a part of our life, threatens the natural beauty in an irreversible manner. As citizens, we must carefully choose our path of development. I feel sorry for the citizens of Cape Cod as there’s a powerful movement afoot to put 150 wind turbines in Nantucket Sound. There are pros and cons for such a project.
            I often wonder how the Founding Fathers would view what we’ve done to the United States. Washington and Jefferson both had a high degree of respect for the land. While Washington was a General and the first U.S. President, he was in his heart a farmer. Jefferson had his plantation and spent considerable time and energy taking care of his estate. If Washington and Jefferson sat in the third row of my car for the last two weeks, would they love the drive? I’m sure they would love a great deal about what I’ve seen on the road, but I would wonder if they would chide us for having the same city problems that they faced in their day…Then again, they’d probably wonder why two of the most important U.S. Presidents were relegated to the third row seats…Sorry, guys!
            After two weeks of fellowship study, I am even more impressed with the findings of my fellowship. On one hand, my growth and appreciation for our country continues its meteorite rise. On the other hand, my growth and appreciation for the PEOPLE of this country is incredible. Each day I have had the luck of meeting the most interesting and wonderful people from all walks of life. I am thankful for the ability to strike up conversations with strangers and I am grateful for their willingness to contribute to my research. In some cases they contributed as I observed their behaviors from across the room, other times they contributed when they offered suggestions for quiet local hot spots where the food and the frenzy represent local gems for food and fun.
            I love my work and I believe I am accomplishing far more than I ever believed possible when I crafted this fellowship experience. Again, it is exhausting work, but that is the price you pay when you maximize your opportunities. I’m pushing the envelope pretty hard, but I know that I’ll blink and this special time will draw to a close.
            I believe it’s always good to make the most out of what you have…
            Thanks for joining me…~Mr. K.

No comments:

Post a Comment