Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 19- Touring Washington, D.C.


I am going to start off today’s reflection with a very simple thought…I LOVE Washington, DC. It’s been quite a while since I was here, so my return visit to this place is more like a reunion. I’ve been impressed all over again. The sights, the scale, the history, the people, the culture, all combine to make D.C. a great American city and a world-class city. Bravo, America, you really put a special town on the map!
            If the founding fathers could take a magical carriage ride to 2012 and see a typical business day in Washington, D.C. they would be floored by the city’s power and panache.  By visiting D.C. you can feel the business buzz of America’s government, you get a sense that many people here walk and work with a little more pride in their step. When I worked out the logistics of this fellowship I thought coming to D.C. would be a terrific way to showcase how the risky political efforts of the founding fathers worked out. Needless to say, the political power that resides in this Federal District is deliberate, resolute, and robust. It’s a city that lives off the simple little instruction manual we call the Constitution of the United States of America. The Founding Fathers work paid off.
            I started my day with a nice walk in the neighborhood and I headed to perhaps the most famous house in the world. The White House. The White House looks smaller than I would have thought, but then again I am cordoned off quite a ways from the structure and the immense scale of D.C. is so overwhelming it might simply be swallowed up by its neighbor: The National Mall, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. Needless to say, standing in front of the White House is nonetheless impressive. 
Perhaps a house you're familiar with? (Washington, D.C.)
            My adventure continued to the Washington Monument. While the design is very simple, the scale and the enormity of the tribute are fitting for the guy who led the Continental Army and established a remarkable role to emulate in that of running the presidency. The monument is closed to visitors, but seeing this impressive structure was a great experience.
George Washington- Important man deserves an important monument.
            The walking tour (read hike) continued across The Mall to the National World War Two Memorial. Years ago I visited D.C. and I found a small plaque mounted into the ground announcing the area as the “future site” of the memorial. Almost twenty years later, America made good on honoring those who served in World War Two. It is a great tribute and I believe such treatment should be considered for World War One and the Korean War. 
Our nation finally makes its tribute to World War Two.
            My day continued to the Vietnam War Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the American History Museum, and the National Museum of the American Indian. During the day I had two wonderful interludes with two gentlemen who made my day complete. Nick and Jim, thanks for sharing a few laughs and making the small world seem smaller.
Abraham Lincoln, Larger than life! (Washingnton, D.C.)

A grand exterior for an impressive President. (Washington, D.C.)

Taken to honor my friend's brother, Ron Manley, Killed in Action. Vietnam War Memorial, Washington, D.C.


Enjoying the water installation at the National Museum of the American Indian. Washington, D.C.

Found the Founding Father's Coat! George Washington's uniform, Washington, D.C.

            It was a wonderful day’s adventure and, suffice to say it ended on a high note. During my quest to find the founding fathers, I at least found his jacket!

As I close today's entry, I would like to reflect on the scale and importance of the National Mall. It is the location where the world comes to celebrate with America. It was a great feeling to be surrounded by the artifacts and memorials that represent the daily lives of the founding fathers and the country's gesture to their life's work.
Washington Monument as seen from the Vietnam Memorial, Washington, D.C.
Thanks for joining me today…~Mr. K.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Kinzie, there is a Korean War Memorial, and it is quite nice. You nearly walked right by it:

    http://www.nps.gov/kowa/index.htm

    I concur on the enjoyment of visiting DC. I really enjoyed the two years I lived there.

    ReplyDelete