Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 13- Boston, MA - Brewster, MA (Cape Cod)


  
Would you sail this across the ocean and start a new life in a new world? On THIS?
            What are you willing to risk? History is full of risk-taking stories and my Finding the Founding Fathers fellowship focuses on moments in colonial history where individuals took great risks to move their lives forward.
In Boston I examined the Boston Tea Party, the Boston Massacre site, the Old South Meeting House where colonists engaged in heated discussions about plans for protests. In Lexington and Concord minutemen engaged British regulars in the first skirmishes of the American Revolution…Basically farmers with guns going up against well-trained professional army regulars. In Saratoga Springs, the patriots risked setting up a fortified line squaring off against the British Army, then delivering a sound defeat. Risk is part of the human process, and risk played a major role in brining European colonists to North American shores.
The highlight of my day today centered on my visit to Plymouth, MA to see Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower II. As you approach the harbor for the ship and the state part that hosts the rock, you are reminded that you are stepping into history. In this area, the Pilgrims put in anchor and made their way to shore to establish a settlement. Pilgrims risked everything to find a new home where they could worship in peace and carry on with their lives according to their traditions.
Speaking of Pilgrims...I ran into a few on the Mayflower II
To find their new home the Pilgrims embarked on a transoceanic journey in a ship that I can hardly see being fit to sail up and down the U.S. coast, let alone cross the ocean. As I toured the Mayflower II, which is close approximation to the original Mayflower, I could only imagine the daunting daily grind of life for the relocating passengers. Battling ocean swells, storms, seasickness, sickness, cramped quarters, fear of the unknown, or a loss of faith as you questioned your own journey from the Old World to the New World. The Pilgrims risked everything, and their risks paid off, at least for the rest of us, because here we are…
Completing my journey to Plymouth...Almost 400 years later!
Fast forward to our modern times. Are we over confident in the lives we lead and the choices we make? Are we taking enough risks?  Are our risks healthy risks? What risks are we supporting or encouraging our children to make, and are those risks beneficial or are they doing more harm than good? Are we risking too much so they can be “the best” instead of just being satisfied with our “being”? Would we be willing to risk everything and start over a new life, in a new place, to satisfy a yearning that drives us from the center of our soul?
Perhaps the biggest risk we face is not taking full advantage of the life we’re given to live. Sometimes we’re happy with the status quo instead of stretching and growing to reach for new heights. My fellowship was born out of my desire to shake things up and find new ways to connect with my curriculum and make an impact for my students. It’s a huge risk to undertake the fellowship journey…the miles driven, risk of breakdown, long days, burn-out, self-doubt. However, I’m driven by the reward that comes from life-enriching opportunities that a fellowship experience like this journey can only provide. 
I had to risk walking around below deck...I'm 6'6", the Pilgrims were not...
After just crossing the halfway point of this fellowship I am well-aware of the beneficial impact this study experience will have for me and my students. As such, I am more than willing to accept the risks to reap the rewards. If we’re not willing to bring risks to our lives are we really living? The Pilgrims embraced change, worked together, and started life anew.
Are we ready to look for similar opportunities in our own lives in either large-scale or small-scale issues? Would we get on the boat like the Pilgrims or simply accept our fate being controlled by the status quo?
We know the Pilgrims’ answer…what’s yours?
Thanks for joining me today…~Mr. K.
Like the Pilgrims, I had a nice reward at the end of the journey to Cape Cod...Dinner at a local Cape Cod fish place...I had the $8.00 fish and shrimp platter...Fresh, Cheap, GREAT! (Ignore the Lobster Dinner sign, they're everywhere!) 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm grateful that our move to Ireland was on an eight-hour flight from Chicago rather than a boat like the Mayflower. Given how long it took our furniture arrive, maybe it came on a boat like that. I'm enjoying the blog, Mr. Kinzie - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete