Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 6- Albany, NY - Boston, MA


           
         
            I’ve been been gone just under at week and I’ve already logged over 1, 200 miles to date.  The hectic pace is necessary to get to the East Coast while maximizing the opportunities for fellowship growth along the way. I designed today to be a relatively short hop of 170 miles from Albany, NY to Boston, MA to make it a lighter travel day and to gear up for an immersion in Boston. While any day on the road is an opportunity for growth, I thought today would be a good day to catch my breath. There was nothing light or laid-back about today.
            My obscure goal for “seeing and doing” today was the Springfield Armory in Springfield, MA. This destination is a national landmark, off the beaten trail, and takes some degree of effort to get to visit. It’s a perfect place to visit! The Springfield Armory was the nation’s first armory and provided weapons design and production for almost two hundred years. The armory has an impressive collection of firearms. It’s a great stop as it helped me better understand how firearm technology played a significant role in America’s ability to wage effective military campaigns.
On the grounds of the Springfield Armory in Springfield, MA
This is a very impressive collection of authentic antique muskets.
The muskets in detail...

            While I enjoyed the armory visit, the great moments of the day came from simple conversations I had with two individuals I met along the way. The beauty of these encounters comes from the fact that conversations were struck up over simple daily life activities. The first gentlemen pulled up next to me on the grounds (In a BEAUTIFULLY preserved VW Microbus!) of the armory and offered to take a picture of me as he saw my futile attempts to get the shot. At first I declined his offer as I had a shot that would work and I didn’t want to take up his time. An instant later I took him up on his offer.
            Ten minutes later, we had talked about family, his car, Springfield, MA, epic road trips, good food, photography, and history. It was a rich conversation, each of us eager to contribute new insights to the dialogue. We knew each other for moments and we talked liked we knew each other for years. Sadly, I never got his name (a rare oversight for me!), but returned to the armory, found his car, left him a note, and thanked him for the helpful suggestions…I hope he calls or e-mails so I can thank him personally for his gestures. He had SUCH a cool car.
            The second gentleman I met is simply a gem of a human being. With thanks to the Armory VW Huy’s recommendation, I headed to Mom and Rico’s for an Italian deli lunch. Mom and Rico’s is the epitome of a “mom and pop” and when you walk in, you feel like you’re walking into a place you’ve always known. The owner, Rico Daniele, greeted me warmly and offered a sample of the day’s special deli meat on a taste of bread. Freshly sliced capicola (I’m pretty sure!) on fantastic crusty bread is always a winner. Also a winner, the fact that Rico sells his ham sandwich for around $1.43, the same price as the sandwich sold for when he opened the store in the 1970s. It was a great sandwich in a great store, but there’s so much more…
            Rico is a bundle of energy who exudes good vibes to anyone who walks through the door. He’s driven by family, community, and his obvious love of all things Italia. We talked about how great things would be if families found more time to be together, even simply sharing meals on a daily basis. His goal is to make the sport of bocce ball something you’d find on school playgrounds and neighborhood parks. His goal is to get families to play together.
            I admire a man who puts family first and stands up for his community. I certainly admire a man who works hard to bring new opportunities to individuals to enhance their lives. Rico’s heart is in the right place and it was a pleasure to meet someone who takes great satisfaction making the world a better place. It just goes to show that the next great opportunity to live and learn about your world  can come at any moment, even when you walk into the deli…
The One and Only Rico Daniele

            Salute, Rico!

No comments:

Post a Comment