Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 21- Touring Mt. Vernon, VA


After wrapping up a FANTASTIC stay at the Helix Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel, I will begin today’s reflection with a word or about my experience at their property. Kimpton believes in making their guests feel like they are being welcomed into a friend’s home. At first, this sounds like a come-on pitch, but when you step foot onto their property you are greeted a staff that genuinely cares about you enjoying your stay. For my needs, they hit their mark 100%. I will be sure to look up their properties in the future.
Legendary Georgetown Cupcake, home of DC Cupcakes!
That said, let’s start with a mystery…For a guy traveling the East Coast, where would be a fun place to start his day if you like desserts, fun, and cupcakes? Hint: It’s in Georgetown…and was five minutes away from Georgetown…Georgetown Cupcake! I bought some to go, and they were delicious! Favorites included: Red Velvet, Chocolate and Peanut Butter, and the gem of the day- Blueberry Cheesecake!
As I left D.C. my route took me right past Arlington National Cemetery and The Pentagon. Although time did not permit a stop for this trip, passing the nation’s sacred space was powerful, The greatest minds and the bravest people are buried there and it’s always a fascination to feel the serenity of the grounds the solemn changing of the guard ceremony. This observation struck my post-9/11 world…The Pentagon, the largest office complex in the world, was not on my navigation screen. Security is part of the D.C. experience.
My drive to Mt. Vernon took me away from D.C. and into the heart of Virginia. The road signs were a history lesson in themselves as the destinations included: Manassas, Richmond, Fredricksburg, and Lynchburg. Oh how I LONG to visits those areas! Alas, my focus is on the War for Independence, not the U.S. Civil War. The countryside is beautiful.
Rolling countryside, very pretty (Rural Virginia)
On the final leg to Mt. Vernon it seemed like a good idea to have an early lunch before I toured the estate. Thanks to the in-car navigation and the smart phone, I zeroed in on a place that time forgot and prepared myself for a no-holds-barred feeding frenzy. The exteriors and interiors were as tired as they looked, but the staff was friendly and the food was down-to-Earth good home cooking.Welcome to Elsie's Magic Skillet in Alexandria, VA...It's as local as local gets...and wonderful! Our food was wonderful and Cathy served up some Southern charm and warm conversation.
Fantastic American comfort food...A winner!
Simple interior, great food!

The ride to and from Mt. Vernon highlights the beauty of Virginia. Lush green fields gave rise to rolling hills and the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was a treat to drive in the country today.
Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance (Approaching Charlottesville, VA)
Mt. Vernon, the estate of of George Washington was the center of Washington’s life While an accomplished general and later the President of the United States, he valued most his life as a farmer. His estate was a working farm with slaves and he always returned to his farming root in his mind.
Some exterior pictures to share…Note the building is made of wood, not stone as the rustication treatment could indicate. I saw the rooms where he ate, received guests, slept at night, and received an incredible number of founding fathers and house guest.
Martha and George Washington's Mt. Vernon Estate
Note the rustication process..makes the wood look like stone!
Rustication detail...

Entering the door to the Main Dining Room

With all due respect, President...
Behind the gate lies the body of the man who saved America...Thank you General!

I valued the tour as it gave me a chance to view the history of George Washington on a more personal level. I come away with a better knowledge and a richer respect for his efforts to lead our country in a trying time yet remain true to himself as he view himself and the world around him.
I close today with a President's view looking across his "backyard" and to the serene Potomac River.
A grand view for a great  man.
Thanks for joining me today...~Mr. K.

No comments:

Post a Comment