Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 23- Charlottesville, VA - Pittsburgh, PA



            The house is quiet, the chorus of insects is crooning away merrily in the forest, the porch door is open and I am welcoming in a cool evening breeze as I sit at their island and write up my day's adventure. I am in my cousin’s house in Pittsburgh, PA and after three weeks of here-and-there hotels, a family home is a welcome place to pull in for the night.
The fun thing about driving today’s route is that there is no quick or direct way to get from Point A to Point B. Depending on how you look at that fact, it can be good news or bad news. It would be bad news if you were worried about taking up your whole day for travel, it would be good news if you’re ready to see some of the country that’s really off the beaten trail. It was a good news days.
            My route out of Charlottesville took me north to one of the wonderful Virginia Byway routes. My goal was to head North and West, skirting Shenandoah National Park (keeping it in mind for a future visit!), cutting across West Virginia and Maryland, and picking up the interstate in southern Pennsylvania into Pittsburgh, PA.
After driving for about thirty minutes, I was headed in to the Virginia Byway route. While the highway was well marked and the road in good shape, I felt like I was driving on somebody’s very long driveway. There were twists and turns, hills and valleys, and the crown of the road went this way then that way…Very unlike Illinois roadways, and a wonderful change of pace, except for the fact I quickly found myself out of any type of cell phone coverage and signs of houses or other people were few and far between. After about thirty minutes, I pulled into “town.”
Welcome to a small town on off a Virginia Byway!
After I left town, I continued to enjoy the scenery, and I hope you enjoy it, too!
Truly "America the Beautiful" with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background. (North of Charlottesville, VA)
One important personal goal I had for the day was the fact that most routes I took out of Charlottesville to Pittsburgh routed me through West Virginia, one of the five remaining states I have yet to visit. Today I was able to cross West Virginia off my list. For the curious reader, the remaining states are (West-East): Hawaii, Oregon, Louisiana, and South Carolina. 
Gotcha! The elusive trip to West Virginia...leaving Hawaii, Oregon, Louisiana, and South Carolina remaining for my 50.
Upon my arrival into the Pittsburgh area I certainly well aware that I left the natural landscape behind and would end my day in a sprawling urban environment.
Welcome to Pittsburgh, a study of bridge design.  (Pittsburgh, PA)
Thankfully, my cousins’ house is situated beautifully on a wooded lot with a house equally fitting in its architectural intrigue. Their home has a wonderful mix of vaulted ceilings, extensive use of windows at the rear elevation facing into the forest, and an open floor plan to bring everyone together. Dinner was grilled salmon, homemade meatballs, roasted green beans and an orzo/vegetable medley that rounded off a great meal. Interspersed between the courses were the squeals of children’s laughter and a chance for the adults to strengthen relationships left day-to-day dormant with the 500 miles distance between Pittsburgh and Chicago.
Surrounded by nature. A welcome stop after a long day's beautiful drive. (Pittsburgh, PA)
Special moments like these are what make your memories part of your own history.
Thanks for joining me today…~Mr. K.

No comments:

Post a Comment