Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 7- Touring Boston Harbor, Wayland, and Framingham

"Let your voices be heard!"

           Boston is one of the great American cities. It is rich in history, features beautiful geography, has bustling neighborhoods and is a gateway to the whole Eastern seaboard. I am looking forward to spending two full days touring the city in support of my fellowship. Who were the people who were behind the American Revolution and how did they step up to lead in such times of great social strife?
            Today I received my first lesson in understanding the “who were they?” question as I toured the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum on Boston Harbor. On display were some artifacts from the era, including one of the only two known authentic tea chests from the raid proudly put on display. The museum provided a quality treatment to a story we’ve heard our whole lives. Angry colonists dumped a shipment of tea into Boston Harbor to send a clear message that they were dissatisfied with the Crown’s economic policies regarding levying taxes in the colonies. Actors dressed in period costumes explained the context of the Boston Tea Party and simply noted in their crowd riling that it was important for all individuals to let their voices be heard. This is such a simple statement, but it might reflect one of the key differences between public interest and public ennui with current social and political debates.
            In our country’s history, I sense that individuals were comfortable stepping up for the causes they were passionate about. After all, participants in the Boston Tea Party took a huge risk to destroy the ship’s cargo. They stood up and let their voices be heard on a very large scale, enough so that we’re still talking about their actions more that two hundred years. After the dialogue about the Tea Party I enjoyed the opportunity to throw chest full of tea overboard…I couldn’t resist!
Hauling up a tea half chest...
Going...(With all due respect to my FFT bag!)
Gone! (I kept my bag, tough!)
Below deck of a cargo ship...very tight quarters!
            Lunch followed my harbor-side tour and I was thrilled to note that Flour Bakery had a location just a short walk from my tea-tossing experience. Inspired by the performance, I let my voice be heard as I ordered a delicious sandwich and sticky bun pastry. Flour Bakery’s pecan rolls and related products are famous for selling out before the end of the day…Thankfully, my second mission of the day was successful.
Boston's Flour Bakery- An outstanding local eating hot-spot!
            Returning to my lodging in the early afternoon I took full advantage of Boston’s geography by kayaking in a “pond” just across the street. To you and me, I was kayaking in a lake, in Boston, people call this a pond…Take a look and tell me what you’d call where I kayaked.
This "pond" is huge! Kayaking is a great release...
            Kayaking is a peaceful endeavor. It brings you back to nature, surrounds you by nature, and reminds you that the busy go-go-go life we typically lead should have the opportunities for peaceful pastimes that facilitate emotional and spiritual healing. On the water, my thoughts focused on enjoying the moment, appreciating the fact this one “pond” existed on a scale far different from anything I’m used to seeing in Chicago’s neighborhoods. It reminds you that there are times when humans are less significant to the big picture when it comes to nature. I plan to have an encore kayak performance tomorrow…it was good to connect with that part of my life. I invite you to arrange such an adventure for yourself to see what I’m talking about in this passage.
            Day’s end took me to the common in Framingham town center. End of the day routines were underway and I enjoyed walking around the common, checking out the wares of the local farmer’s market, and studying some buildings from the early 1800s. These buildings are the telltale signs that the voices from the tea party were heard and that the risky venture of the American Revolution took root and led to community expansion and development as a young America hit a social growth spurt. Enjoy my parting shot for the day as we gaze in to a New England tradition: A family relaxing on the common, a church in the background, and a flag pole with a flag prominently displayed together stating that this is just one day in the life of the this part of the United States of America.
            That voice is heard loud and clear, don’t you agree…?
Right up there with Apple Pie and Chevrolet...



No comments:

Post a Comment