Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 9- Boston - Ellesworth, ME (Acadia National Park)


Ahhh...back in New Hampshire, one of my favorite states...just passing through today!
Maine- Hard to get to, SO worth the effort!
 Another day, two more states to add to the count…New Hampshire and Maine! These two states are among my favorite New England states for several reasons: Beautiful natural beauty, excellent seafood, and a certain New England calm that soothes my soul.  Add to that wonderful, smooth roads and wonderful, friendly people and it all sounds great to me!
My time in New Hampshire is short…just cutting across the state! However, just long enough for a picture! I have family in Southern New Hampshire so I am fortunate to have a good feel for this part of our country. However, I know very little about the White Mountain area and other places up north…That will change one day! Here’s a quirky sign from the state welcome center…
New Hampshire is just a polite state!
 Onward to Maine, a state that I always thought to be very special: 1) It’s beautiful and impressive, 2) You have to make a pretty concerted effort to get to Maine. My love of Maine is partly wrapped up in the fact that it’s off the beaten trail! I am glad to return to this state for the second time in two years and for the third time ever in my life. Then again, Maine has some strange sightings, too, like the pizza oven trailer pictured below...
Portable pizza oven trailer? America is the land of opportunity!
Of course, what’s a visit to Maine without a stop for food? I arrived in Portland, ME and headed straight to Pickles and Po’ Boys based on the great online reivews…One guest mentioned that she dreams about the blackened fish sandwich. After today’s feast, I hope to have the same dreams…the only nightmare might be that I won’t get to return there any time soon! The pictures below say it all…
No chains for me...I love to eat local favorites...Today's lunch was INCREDIBLE!
I couldn't wait to dig in, but it was too hot to eat...Time for a picture!
Blackened fish sandwich, fried shrimp, cajun slaw, tangy pickels..All to die for!

Heading North towards Bangor and Bar Harbor today leads me to another geographical milestone of this fellowship…I will reach my most northern point of my trip as I roll past Newport, ME. (Just an FYI- North Dakota is by far more north than Maine. Maine’s proximity is skewed by the map projection distortions). I like to celebrate such milestones in my travels…
Taken to celebrate arriving at the most northern point of my fellowship
 I close today’s musings with an image of the road…Endless forest of green and silky smooth highway that goes on forever. I logged another 350 miles today and I’m at about 1700 total thus far for the fellowship. Take a good look at this highway picture and make a plan to take a ride up I-95 North for yourself one day…
This is Maine...come on up and see what it's about!

Thanks for joining me…~Mr. K.

No comments:

Post a Comment