Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 18- Philadelphia Perseverance


My three-hour drive from Philadelphia, PA to Washington, D.C. gave me ample time to appreciate several things about my fellowship. I crossed into two more states today (Delaware and Maryland) and one Federal district (The District of Columbia!). The east coast, from a Chicagoan’s point of view, is jam packed with different state. Each state has its own feel, its own geography, and it’s own pace. Granted, my fellowship involves getting quick glimpses of my destinations, but there’s much to be divined when you drive from place, to place, to place…
            I left Philadelphia thinking about the political struggles faced in that important city. I thought of the painstaking decision-making that taxed the minds of leaders and everyday people. In our instant gratification world, I wonder how we would have felt living life in a social slow motion…where some days the news is good (Independence declared!) and some days the news is bad (the early years of the American Revolution!). The founding fathers risked everything, their treasonous acts meant the price of failure would have been paid with their heads.
            Benjamin Franklin comes to mind as his contribution to the early American government represents an important aspect of perseverance. Upon the declaration of independence, Franklin was dispatched as a diplomat to France. While the leaders and citizens were back in the colonies trying to figure out the next move, Franklin was out pounding the pavement pitching a high-level sales pitch to woo France, and other countries, to lend their support to the independence movement. Perseverance…it must have taken an incredible amount of perseverance to see his job through. If Franklin failed, support from other countries would have waned, and the drive for Independence would have been a spectacular failure.
Had Benjamin Franklin failed, who would want to be the one to tell THAT part of the story to General George Washington? Washington, at one point, was encamped in the hills outside of Philadelphia at Valley Force for the long, soul-searching winter of 1777-1778. Again, perseverance plays a critical role in this part of the story. Washington was grooming his troops to be an effective fighting force against the British and he had to believe that his goals were obtainable. Washington’s goals relied on other founding fathers reaching their goals to shift the entire revolutionary machine into gear to achieve sustainable forward progress.Washington's perseverance paid off...
From the 2012 perspective, we know how the story ends…wave your flags, sing your songs, and love your 4th of July celebrations. What thoughts were crossing the minds of Washington, Revere, Jefferson, and Franklin as they put their heads on a their pillows every night? Did they KNOW they were destined for greatness, did they HOPE they were destined for greatness, or did they each secretly fear failure (or accept failure?) thinking it would be better to try and fail rather than never have tried at all…
I admire these men for the courage they displayed in the uncertain times. Where did they get the fortitude necessary to wake up and move forward day after day? Does that spirit still exist today? How do we mine that spirit in ourselves? How do we cultivate that spirit in our students and our children?
I’d like to tell you about one more story of Philadelphia Perseverance. Aside from the history bonanza to be found in Philly, another important component of my stop in Philadelphia centered around the fact that my family and I would be staying with my Uncle Al. Chicago-Philadelphia, time and life don’t always allow individuals to have the day-to-day connections you’d like to have with your family members. However, Uncle Al and I have grown closer as the years have grown on us. Some of my earliest childhood memories have Uncle Al right in the middle of the fun. As I’ve grown, I’ve grown to realize that he’s always been a part of my life, and my own family’s life. He’s a wonderful uncle.
So why does Uncle Al fit into my reflection I’ve shared with you today? The answer is very simple…He’s persevered. Perseverance plays an important part in any era of human history on the sociological level…groups face challenges, groups fail or groups succeed, the stories are written, and they’re what teachers like me talk about in classrooms. What’s easy to overlook is what happens to individuals…
Uncle Al has had to do the unthinkable, he had to bury his son sixteen years ago and he had to bury his wife a year ago this September. Honestly, those events broke part of me and I’m just the cousin and the nephew. Al was the father and the husband and he faced one of most challenging aspects of the human condition: Death. He faced the death of people he loved the most and he did so with dignity, pride, and love, just like I’d imagine any of us would hope to do in such circumstances.
What’s remarkable about Al’s story are the moments, days, weeks, months, and years after the loss. He’s had to carry on to live his life, simultaneously as the same man and as a changed man. In the passage of time, Al’s always persevered, loved and grown, woken up each day to face his new realities, and done so making the best of his situation. He’s done more than live, he’s persevered. He’s done this by not only honoring his past, but by also being very much alive in the present, and he casts an optimistic eye toward the future.
History is full of figures who are noteworthy for many reason. My fellowship focuses on some of the founding fathers of our country, and each man deserves the academic accolades that historians heap upon them since their days of glory. As I’ve discovered in my fellowship, the founding fathers’ didn’t have it easy and they had to persevere in dangerous times. However, I think it’s important to realize that the heroes of our own lives are the ones who persevere within the context of the joys and sorrows of everyday life.
To that end, perhaps the greatest people we’ll ever learn from are the ones we’ll never read about in some textbook. May the same be true for you as it has been for me.

Thanks for joining me today…~Mr. K.

No comments:

Post a Comment