Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 1- Chicago, IL - Toledo, OH


Needless to say, packing up for a three-week road trip is a very daunting task. In fact, preparing to be gone for any length of time is, at times, abstract and challenging. Imagine you abandon your usual routines and plunge head-first into a life based on an essay you wrote to help you better understand the people and the processes that took place to create the very first moments of our nation’s history? Two hundred and thirty-six years later I am making a deliberate attempt to learn about our country in its earliest days. I packed some clothes, packed some food, and brought some music and I left. It’s only three weeks…It sounds like forever…
Early colonists to North America left their homes, brought some stuff, got on a boat, crossed an ocean, and set up a new life in forest or marsh a few thousand miles away from their former home. Welcome to the colonies…the native peoples who already live there may not like having visitors…especially if you try to rip them off.
The geography of  “home” is fascinating. I’m only five hours from my home, but Toledo, Ohio is near yet far from the Chicago perspective. On one hand, I’m in an urban/suburban setting, on the other hand it feels quite different from Chicago. I’m still here in the Midwest, but it’s not Midwest like Chicago…It’s not home…
Tonight I’m staying with family, Aunt Anne and Uncle Jim. Home vs. hotel, home-cooked vs. Golden Arches. After only being gone for a day you quickly realize you’ve left your comfortable surroundings to swim in the sea of humanity for awhile…My day ended in comfortable, family surroundings. Early colonists had to sleep in a tent or within the walls of early forts and settlements. They didn’t always have a peaceful night’s sleep…I had a great dinner and there’s a comfortable bed waiting for me when I wrap up this post. Early colonists had far more struggles (from our perspectives!) for even the most basic of daily tasks..
From a discipline perspective today featured the joys of Geography and the puzzle of Sociology. Geographically speaking, I was reminded (yet again) how vast our country is…I drove for five hours and I’m only two states away from where I started my day. There are forty-eight more states out there!  Along the way I was treated to typically flat Illinois but the addition of rolling hills in parts of Indiana reminded me that much of our country is nothing like the table-top flat part of Illinois called Chicago. For twenty harrowing minutes, nature treated me to a harrowing downpour. As technologically advanced as humans are, a good rainstorm can stop us in our tracks…
I marveled today that humans are constantly on the move. Essentially, there were entire groups of people moving great distances with very little effort. How far we’ve come from the early days of colonial travel…! However, what value would the colonists find in the lives we lead today? Would they agree with how America developed and would they enjoy living among us in modern times?
Our country exists because some people were brave enough to challenge the status quo…Are we that brave today?
Thanks for joining me…Mr. K.

No comments:

Post a Comment